Security Report: Feb. 14 – Feb. 20, 2013

Staff

Thursday, Feb. 14

11:08 a.m. Officers were requested to assist an ill student in Wilder Hall. The student was transported to Mercy Allen Hospital for medical attention.

5:17 p.m. Officers and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at the Art Domes. The alarm was activated by a steam pressure release valve. An HVAC technician responded to repair the valve.

6:10 p.m. Officers and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at a Union Street apartment. Steam from a hot shower activated the alarm. The area was cleared, and the alarm was reset.

10:22 p.m. Officers responded to a report of an odor of gas on the fourth floor of the Firelands Apartment buliding. An HVAC technician checked the area but did not find anything. The cause was possibly an unlit stove pilot. The student was advised to make sure that the pilot light was lit when turning on the stove.

Friday, Feb.15

12:51 a.m. A resident of the Firelands Apartment building reported a suspicious individual who followed her to the basement laundry room area. Officers responded and made a thorough check of the interior and exterior of the building. The individual was not located.

1:35 a.m. Officers responded to a blue light emergency call in the Union Street parking lot. However, no one was in the area upon arrival. While en route to the parking lot, an officer observed an individual run north on North Professor Street and hide among the trees. Attempts to locate the individual were unsuccessful.

Saturday, Feb. 16

1:28 p.m. A student reported the theft of her unlocked bicycle from the west side of the Conservatory. The bicycle is a blue and silver women’s 24-inch Roadmaster mountain bike valued at approximately $100.

11:43 p.m. Officers responded to a loud noise complaint on the first floor of Burton Hall.  The officers made contact with occupants of the room in question, and they were made aware of the complaint. Several empty beer cans were observed in the room, and the resident’s visitors were asked to leave.

Sunday, Feb. 17

3:48 a.m. The Office of Safety and Security released a special alert with regards to a strong-arm robbery of a student near West College Street and Cedar Street. The student reported that he was approached by an individual who made a derogatory remark about his perceived ethnicity and then physically knocked him to the ground. The Oberlin Police Department is currently investigating.

5:48 a.m. A member of the Grounds staff observed three juveniles fighting in the parking lot of Philips Gym. Officers and members of the Oberlin Police Department responded and made contact with two of the individuals involved. The individuals claimed to be friends who had a disagreement.

7:17 p.m. Officers responded to a report of an individual putting up dating website posters in King Hall. The individual who is not associated with Oberlin College, was identified and advised of the policies regarding postings. He was then asked to leave College property.

9 p.m. Officers and members of the Oberlin Fire Department responded to a fire alarm at the Firelands Apartment building machine room. The cause of the alarm was a power surge. Electricians were requested, and students were transported to Wilder Hall until they could re-enter the building.

Monday, Feb. 18

7:50 a.m. An officer on patrol observed a bicycle that had been reported stolen on the corner of Morgan and Professor Streets. The bicycle was transported to the Security Office. The owner was notified and picked up the bike.

8:44 p.m. A student worker in Dascomb Dining Hall reported the theft of an iPhone 4 in a white case, valued at $400, from a shelf near the old manager’s office. The Oberlin Police Department also responded.

Tuesday, Feb. 19

9:41 a.m. A member of the Philips gym staff reported the theft of two aluminum bats and three dozen softballs from Williams Field House.  The total value of the missing items is $605. The theft is under investigation.

7:18 p.m. An officer on patrol observed vandalism to the wooden fence in the Woodland Street parking lot. Two sections had been broken off the support, and numerous planks were in pieces.